Sunday, March 16, 2014

rtl8192cu driver for EDIMAX USB WiFi dongle

Since ages there is a problem with the EDIMAX EW-7811Un and it is still not solved in Fedora 20. However, the driver from Realtek should work but it is quite challenging to compile it with current kernel versions.
Here is what you have to do to get it work with kernel 3.13:

  • Download the driver from Realtek.
  • Download the script.
  • As root run patch_rtl8188C_8192C_usb_linux_v4.0.2_9000.20130911.sh
The driver seems to have some problems still but it is way better then before. At least the connection losses are gone.

If you have any problems please let me know and I will try to fix them. Unfortunately I was only able to test the driver on my Fedora 20 system. So any results from other systems are more then welcome.

10 comments:

  1. Hello there,
    I'm on fedora20 and kernel 3.13, I tried your script but i had this error:
    modprobe: ERROR: could not insert '8192cu': Required key not available
    Thanks for your help

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you get any errors that it could not be installed? Also did you check that the normally used rtl8192cu is removed before? 'rmmod rtl8192cu' should do the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no errors and I blacklisted rtl8192cu.
    It seems coming from the secureboot.
    https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Secureboot
    Q: What if I want to build a custom kernel or load 3rd party kernel modules?
    A: You will need to disable Secure boot, or setup your own keys and sign everything with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So this fixed your problem in the end or not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't try to disable the secure boot yet, not sure about all the consequences :o

      Delete
    2. However, you should be able to load the module after the boot process has finished, as far as I understand that.

      Delete
    3. I disable the secure boot, it seems to be working now.
      Thx for your help and for this post.

      Delete
  5. Hello,
    I found this post very helpful, thank you. With it I managed to get the wifi working on my fedora 20 machine. Sadly I have since had to reinstall my OS and am now having serious problems getting it to work again as I can't quite remember what I did. This is very frustrating because I solved the problems once. When I run your script I get the error: insmod: ERROR: could not insert module ./8192cu.ko: Invalid module format.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am facing the same problems with the 3.16.3 kernel but I did not have time to take care of the problem so far. It still works with 3.16.2. From the error it seems that it is not a problem of the driver or the script itself. However, probably it needs different compiler options or so which I need to discover first.

      Delete
    2. With 3.16.4 it should work again.

      Delete